Monday Music Quote: George Jellinek


Monday Music Quote: George Jellinek

 "THE HISTORY OF A PEOPLE IS FOUND IN ITS SONG"
--  George Jellinek (Hungarian-born American DJ, New York City)

I love studying various cultures with their music and family traditions. I find the above quote by George Jellinek to be true. I was reflecting on Hawaiian music and of course, The Hawaiian Wedding Song comes to mind.

"Hawaiian Wedding Song" is a 1926 love song written by Charles E. King for his operetta, Prince of Hawaii. It was originally entitled "Ke Kali Nei Au" - Hawaiian for "Waiting Here for You". In 1958, Al Hoffman and Dick Manning translated the original Hawaiian words into English, christening the song as the "Hawaiian Wedding Song".

I have a chord chart in the Key of C with 4/4 time signature. Play slowly, with much warmth.

C          G7           C       C7        F                  G7     C
This is the moment I've waited for.
   G9   C      G7   E7     Am  Am7
I can hear my heart singing.

D7                           G7
Soon bells will be ringing.

C          Cdim  D7
This is the moment
 
G7             C

Of sweet Aloha...
 C                                             G9
I will love you longer than forever.
G7                                                     C    G+
Promise me that you will leave me never.
 
C      A7    D7

Here and now, dear,
G7                  C
All my love I vow dear.

                                                    Cdim    G9
Promise me that you will leave me never.
G7                                            C
I will love you longer than forever.

                             F

Now that we are one,
D7                                G7
Clouds won't hide the sun.

         C        A7    D7
Blue skies of Hawaii smile

      G7                         C
On this, our wedding day.

                        A7


I do love you,
           D7  G7    C
With all my heart...


For the intro, the arpeggio chords in the r.h. are:

C/EGCE
D/EF#CE
B/DF#BD
G/DFBD
E/CGD
Eb/CF#C
D/CFA
G/BFG

Do you have a favorite Hawaiian song? There's a few that I can think of...

Lovely Hula Hands
Now Is The Hour
Tiny Bubbles
Aloha Oe

Take Your Piano Playing To The Next Level With These Courses

If you enjoyed this blog post, please consider following on Bloglovin'
Keep in touch with me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, YouTube and Pinterest, too!


"Jazz washes away the dust of every day life." -- Art Blakey



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured Post

How To Play Hold On

© copyright 2017– All rights reserved

PianoDiana

SheetMusicPlus

Early Black Friday Coupon Cyber Week Coupon 50% Off International Shipping