Monday Music Quote: Albert Einstein

English: receiving from Judge his certificate ...
English: receiving from Judge his certificate of American citizenship. Deutsch: erhält von Richter Phillip Forman seine Bescheinigung über die amerikanische Staatsbürgerschaft. Português: recebendo do juiz seu certificado de cidadão americano. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


 "If I were not a physicist I would probably be a musician. I see my life in terms of music." --  Albert Einstein













Did you know that playing music can help children understand math better? Research shows piano students are better equipped to comprehend math and science.

Awhile back I was sharing about the Nashville Number System and the best explanation can be found, here. The Nashville Number System is an informal method of transcribing music by denoting the scale degree on which a chord is built. You can find more information on Wikipedia

I also wrote a short article called, Science of Mind 
Here it is for those that may be interested.

HOW SOUND TRAVELS:

A sound is made when something vibrates and makes particles in the air next to it vibrate. The air particles pass the vibration from one to another. You can describe a sound by showing it on a graph. The shape is called a sound wave. Different sounds have different shaped sound waves. The number of times a sound wave vibrates each second is called frequency. A high note has a high frequency.

SOUND WAVES:

The look of a sound wave varies according to what is making the sound. These sound waves are all produced by different instruments.

ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS:

A lot of bands use electronic instruments, such as drum machines and keyboards. These sorts of instruments use a computer chip to store and reproduce sound waves.

STORING SOUND:

A chip doesn't store the sound itself: it stores numbers which describe a sound wave. The numbers indicate the height of the wave measured at regular intervals.

DRUM MACHINES:

Drum machines are electronic devices that store pre-set sounds made by percussion instruments, such as cymbals, drums or maracas. You choose a sound and then play a rhythm by tapping on pads. You can also record a rhythm and play it back, so you can play another instrument alongside the rhythm. Rhythms can also be made faster or slower. Most drum machines have pre-set rhythms. These can be useful if you don't want to make up your own.

PLAYING WITH SOUNDS:

A keyboard is designed to store the sound waves produced by musical instruments, but it can also reproduce other sounds, such as a bird tweeting. This is done using a machine called a sampler. Some keyboards have sampled sounds. Once the sound has been stored, you can play tunes with it. You can even alter the sound by reversing it or making it echo. You can have great fun experimenting with sounds which have been stored on a keyboard. Imagine playing Jingle Bells with a bell chiming for each note!

Here's a cool tune that I enjoy by Paul Simon.

Sounds of Silence




AmG
Hello darkness my old friend,
Am
I've come to talk with you again.
CFC
Because a vision softly creeping
AmFC
Left it's seed while I was sleeping,
FC
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Am
Still remains
CGAm
Within the sounds of silence.

G
In restless dreams I walked alone,
Am
Narrow streets of cobble stone.
FC
'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
AmFC
I turned my collar to the cold and damp,
FC
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
Am
That split the night
CGAm
     And touched the sounds of silence.

G
And in the naked light I saw
Am
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
FC
People talking without speaking,
AmFC
People hearing without listening,
FC
People writing songs that voices never shared,
Am
And no one dared
CGAm
     Disturb the sounds of silence.

G
"Fools!" said I, "you do not know,
Am
Silence like a cancer grows.
FC
Hear my words that I might teach you,
AmFC
Take my arms that I might reach you."
FC
But my words like silent raindrops fell
AmGAm
     And echoed in the wells of silence.

G
And the people bowed and prayed
Am
To the neon gods they made.
FC
And the sign flashed out its warning,
AmFC
In the words that it was forming,
AmFC
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
Am
And tenement halls."
CGAm
And whispered in the sounds of silence. 

Paul Simon - YouTube 



Another version


Em                        D
   Hello darkness, my old friend,
                           Em
I've come to talk with you again,
                  C     G          
Because a vision soft creeping,
          Em             C     G                  
Left it's seeds while I was sleeping,
         C                C/G            G                          
And the vision that was planted in my brain
       Em       
Still remains
             D       Em               
Within the sound of silence.

 Em                          D         
In restless dreams I walked alone
                        Em
Narrow streets of cobblestone,
 Em                 C        G
'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
              Em           C        G
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
        C                                                                                               
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon

G
light
               Em
That split the night
                D        Em
And touched the sound of silence.


Em                         D
  And in the naked light I saw
                           Em
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
Em                C       G
People talking without speaking,
Em                    C       G
People hearing without listening,
                 C                       G
People writing songs that voices never share
           Em
And no one dare
             D        Em
Disturb the sound of silence.


Em                         D
 Fools said i, you do not know
                      Em
Silence like a cancer grows.
Em                     C          G
Hear my words that I might teach you,
Em                    C           G
Take my arms that I might reach you.
         C                          G
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
      Em
And echoed
       D        Em
In the wells of silence


Em                        D
 And the people bowed and prayed
                     Em
To the neon God they made.
Em                         C       G
 And the sign flashed out it's warning,
Em                     C     G
In the words that it was forming.
         Em              C
And the sign said, the words of the prophets
        C                    G
Are written on the subway walls
               Em
And tenement halls.
                      D         Em      
And whispered in the sounds of silence.
 
Learn about chord progressions, like I-IV-V with this great notebook called,
300pg Piano by Ear Home Study Course Definitely use a pencil with this one.

If you enjoyed this blog post, please consider following on Bloglovin'
Keep in touch with me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, YouTube and Pinterest, too!



"Jazz washes away the dust of every day life." -- Art Blakey
Enhanced by Zemanta
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured Post

How To Play Hold On

© copyright 2017– All rights reserved

PianoDiana

SheetMusicPlus

Early Black Friday Coupon Cyber Week Coupon 50% Off International Shipping