Love Potion No. 9

Love Potion (song)
Love Potion (song) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


The wave of British rock groups that arrived on our shores during the 60's included the Searchers, a quartet from Liverpool. Their 1965 recording of this tune reached no. 3 on the charts and earned a gold record. The words and music to Love Potion No. 9, by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, is played in the Key of Em.


Messages from Jerry Leiber

Here's what I like to play:

Em                         A7
I took my troubles down to Madame Rue
Em                           A7
You know that gypsy with the gold-capped tooth
G                                         
She's got a pad down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
A7                        B                  Em (A Bb B)
Sellin' little bottles of Love Potion Number Nine

Em                      A7
I told her that I was a flop with chics
Em                         A7
I've been this way since 1956
G                                          
She looked at my palm and she made a magic sign
A7                         B                  Em
She said "What you need is Love Potion Number Nine"

    A
She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink
    F#m
She said "I'm gonna make it up right here in the sink"
   A
It smelled like turpentine, it looked like Indian ink
  B
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink

Em                      A7
I didn't know if it was day or night
Em                     A7
I started kissin' everything in sight
G                                                 
But when I kissed a cop down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
A7                           B                  Em
He broke my little bottle of Love Potion Number Nine

  
Here is the chord breakdown:
 
E/EGB I took my troubles down to
 
A/AC#A Madam Ruth.
 
E/EGB You know, that Gypsy with the 

A/AC#A gold-capped tooth.

G/GBD She's got a store-front at Thirty Fourth and Vine,

A/AC#E Sellin' little bottles of

B/BD#B Love Potion No. 

E/EGB Nine... repeat

A/AC#A She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink.

F#/F#AF# She said, "I'm gonna mix it up right here in the sink."

A/AC#A It smelled like turpentine and looked like India ink. I

B/BD#B held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink.

E/EGB I didn't know if it was 

A/AC#A day or night,

E/EGB I started kissin' every

A/AC#A thing in sight. But

G/GBD when I kissed the cop down at Thirty Fourth and Vine, he

A/AC#E broke my little bottle of

B/BD# Love Potion Number 
 
E/EGB Nine.

A/AC#A

Bb/BbDBb

B/BD#B

E/EGB
 
Key of Am
 
Am                         Dm
I took my troubles down to Madame Rue
Am                           Dm
You know that gypsy with the gold-capped tooth
C                                         Am
She's got a pad down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
Dm                        E                  Am
Sellin' little bottles of Love Potion Number Nine

Am                      Dm
I told her that I was a flop with chics
Am                         Dm
I've been this way since 1956
C                                          Am
She looked at my palm and she made a magic sign
Dm                         E                  Am
She said "What you need is Love Potion Number Nine"

    Dm
She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink
    B7
She said "I'm gonna make it up right here in the sink"
   Dm
It smelled like turpentine, it looked like Indian ink
  E
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink

Am                      Dm
I didn't know if it was day or night
Am                     Dm
I started kissin' everything in sight
C                                                 Am
But when I kissed a cop down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
Dm                           E                  Am
He broke my little bottle of Love Potion Number Nine

    Dm
She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink
    B7
She said "I'm gonna make it up right here in the sink"
   Dm
It smelled like turpentine, it looked like Indian ink
  E
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink

Am                      Dm
I didn't know if it was day or night
Am                     Dm
I started kissin' everything in sight
C                                                 Am
But when I kissed a cop down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
Dm                           E                  Am
He broke my little bottle of Love Potion Number Nine

Dm                 Am
Love Potion Number Nine 3x
 
Free Sheet Music for Love Potion #9  
 
Back Pocket Band Software 





"Jazz washes away the dust of every day life." -- Art Blakey
Enhanced by Zemanta
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured Post

Learn To Play How High The Moon

How High The Moon (Chords and Lyrics) Words by Nancy Hamilton Music by Morgan Lewis (1940) Sung by Ella Fitzgerald from album...

© copyright 2015 – All rights reserved

PianoDiana

SheetMusicPlus

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads Download Sheet Music at Musicnotes.com Find patriotic sheet music sheet music to print instantly at Virtual Sheet Music