Dedicated To The One I Love

The Shirelles





Dedicated To The One I Love: Best of the 60s

Words and Music by Lowman Pauling and Ralph Bass. The song was originally written in 1957. I remember the Mamas and the Papas, plus the Shirelles doing this song.

Time Signature 6/8
Key Signature G

Here's what I found online.


Verse 1:

	               G               Em
	While I'm far away from you my baby
	C6     D7        G               Em
	    I know it's hard for you my baby
	C6     D7         Em             Bm
	    Because it's hard for me my baby
	Am               D7                  G     D7sus4
	And the darkest hour is just before dawn

	(band enters)

Chorus:

	                      G                  C C/G G/B
	Each night before you go to bed my baby
	C            D       G                    C C/G G/B
	  Whisper a little prayer for me my baby
	D7sus4      D7  Eb7             G
	       And tell all the stars above
	D7sus4 [N.C.]                       [2: Em, to coda]
	        This is dedicated to the one I love

Bridge 1:

	  G
	(Life can never be exactly like we want it to be)
	    G7
	I could be satisfied knowing you love me
	       G
	(But there's one thing I want you to do   especially for me)
	          Am             A7       D7sus4
	And it's something that everybody needs

Chorus 2:

	Each night before you go to bed my baby
	Whisper a little prayer for me my baby
	D7sus4   D7         Em            Bm/A             
	      Because it's hard for me my baby
	D7sus4 [N.C.]          D7sus4 [N.C.]
	        And the darkest hour is just before dawn

Instrumental break:

	piano solo: G7 [8 bars of 6/8]

	(band drops out)

Bridge 2:

	           Bm           Em         G   Cm
	If there's one thing I want you to do
	  Bm   Cm      Bm
	Especially for me
	          Eb7                     D7sus4   [N.C.]
	And it's something that everybody needs

	(band re-enters on G)

[repeat chorus 1]

Coda:

	(Em)                            C
	This is dedicated to the one I love
	                                A7
	This is dedicated to the one I love
	                                G
	This is dedicated to the one I love
	                              (this is dedicated)



Here's the chords I'm playing.


Verse 1:

	 D7     D9         G            Em
	While I'm far away from you my baby
	C     D9        G               Em
	    I know it's hard for you my baby
	C     D9         Em             Bm
	    Because it's hard for me my baby
	Am7               D7                  G     D7
	And the darkest hour is just before dawn

	

Chorus:

	        D9              G                  D7
	Each night before you go to bed my baby
	D7                 G                  D
	  Whisper a little prayer for me my baby
	      D7  D9     Gdim7        G
	       And tell all the stars above
	 [N.C.]                       [2: G, to coda]
	        This is dedicated to the one I love

Bridge 1:

	  G
	(Life can never be exactly like we want it to be)
	    G7
	I could be satisfied knowing you love me
	       G
	(But there's one thing I want you to do   especially for me)
	          Am             A7       D9 D7
	And it's something that everybody needs

Chorus 2:
              D9               G            D7
	Each night before you go to bed my baby
         D7               G                D
	Whisper a little prayer for me my baby
	   D7  D9       Em            Bm  Am7             
	      Because it's hard for me my baby
	 [N.C.]          D7sus4 [N.C.]              G7
	        And the darkest hour is just before dawn

Instrumental break:

	piano solo: G7 [8 bars of 6/8]

	(band drops out)

Bridge 2:

	           Bm           Em         G   
	If there's one thing I want you to do
	  Bm   Cm  C    Bm
	Especially for me
	          Eb                     D7   [N.C.]
	And it's something that everybody needs

	(band re-enters on G)

[repeat chorus 1]

Coda:

	(Em)                            C
	This is dedicated to the one I love
	  Em                             C
	This is dedicated to the one I love
	   Em                             G
	This is dedicated to the one I love
	                              (this is dedicated)



I'm pretty sure you know all these chords but just in case, here's how I play the Gdim7:

G/BbC#EG

Best,





"Jazz washes away the dust of every day life." -- Art Blakey
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured Post

Learn To Play How High The Moon

How High The Moon (Chords and Lyrics) Words by Nancy Hamilton Music by Morgan Lewis (1940) Sung by Ella Fitzgerald from album...

© copyright 2015 – All rights reserved

PianoDiana

SheetMusicPlus

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads Download Sheet Music at Musicnotes.com Find patriotic sheet music sheet music to print instantly at Virtual Sheet Music